Thursday, April 22, 2010

What's your punch card?

It's pretty safe to say that I'm between a rock and a hard place at this point in my life. After I heal from surgery, I can maintain my position out of the work force and continue to benefit from my free health care. I could try to find some "off the books" income so as to bring some cash in without jeopardizing that. My other option is to find work and either a.) neglect my health until it is as out of control as it is now or b.) beg an employer to give me an indefinite amount of days off so that I can pursue healthcare I can't afford until this reform is all worked out.
I've hashed this out before, no need to beat a dead horse. The topic of today's rant leans more towards the latter.
It's pretty hard to find work these days. There are plenty of jobs out there, but most people find themselves rationalizing not taking them for any number of reasons. What desireable jobs there are become objects of prey for hoards of folks looking for the softest, easiest way to make a buck. Sadly, however, it doesn't seem to matter what you're qualified for. The job that you want is also coveted by hundreds, and at least half of those hundreds have some sort of punch card. Most commonly, you're up against discrimination. It happens all the time. Someone in a minority group screams the 'D' word, and the powers that be cower in fear. If that's not a factor, there's always the concern that someone younger and sexier will come along. I highly encourage each and every one of you to dispute this, but I've seen it work. It's tried and true. Anything worth gaining these days can be had if you're sneaky enough.
I don't really care to be on disability. I once had ambitions. I spent 5 years of my life in post-secondary education. I don't think that ANY person with virtue wants to spend their life in that kind of 'system'. I already feel like a failure. Being stamped with the label of not being fit to work isn't going to correct that. I fear, however, that my choices are slimmer and slimmer by the day, and this seems to be the only one I'm left with. So many people have insisted to me that it's the best option for me and that I would be a shoe-in. Not so fast. AGAIN, there are hoards of crooked slobs out there who know how to work the system and ruin it for everybody. If I had a dollar for every obese person rolling through wal-mart on their hover-rounds collecting a disability check, I wouldn't be having this dilemma.
I guess they haven't caught on to the mass trend of getting a job, signing onto a group coverage health insurance policy, and fighting to have their weight loss surgery covered by their insurance. No need to worry about cosmetic complications after the fact. You can fight for that too! Nevermind the fact that you've now doubled premiums and deductibles for your colleagues and in some cases jeopardized coverage for all altogether!
I know.. I know.. I complain a lot. If I had half the fire for activism as I do the concerns, I'd be the next president. Thanks for allowing me to prattle and indulging me by reading!
I have work to do and shouldn't go on. Maybe my next post will be something pretty and flowery and inspirational! :)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that generally, in the past.. it really truly doesn't matter how consistenly positive I am, people ONLY see negative.. that's sadly how people are usually naturally conditioned to perceive. Yes, I am fed up with a LOT of things.. in and outside of the compass of my path. There are MANY things that upset me about the world I live in. Yes, I should spend more time acting than talking. However, lots of people have asked me to share, and enjoy reading my rants, so for now, while there's a lot going on in my mind, it's just a safe little outlet! :) I'm pretty up front and honest about the fact some of my opinions aren't flowery. Nobody HAS to read them. That's the pretense under which you come to my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete