Wednesday, March 24, 2010

You're one of a kind.. just like everyone else!

I have a LOT on my mind this night. I could rant about a number of concerns, but I have avoided this entry for a few days due to the number of other matters that have arisen!
I looked up the word "unique" in dictionary.com tonight. I found exactly what I thought I would. Unique, is formally defined as:
1.
existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics:
a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
2.
having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable:
Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
3.
limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to Australia.
4.
limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities:
Certain types of problems have unique solutions.
5.
not typical; unusual: She has a very unique smile.


Let's think, for a moment, about what it takes, by this definition, to be TRULY unique, shall we? Take for example, the second definition: "having NO like or equal". I find that most people who take such pride in being "unique" have a few select very outstanding traits that, although are defining, are DEFINITELY NOT unique. For example, most commonly, you will find that those covered from head to toe in body ink and alternative hair colors and styles pride themselves in being "one of a kind". Because there aren't hundreds of thousands of folks out there covered in ink with green mohawks?
Being a part of the glbt(qi) community has brought "uniqueness" to light in a way I never dreamed. There are SO many people in this community, even more specifically in the art of male and female impersonation, who center their personna around that silly little word. 'I'm one of a kind. My act is DRASTICALLY different from theirs because I painted my pinky fingernail yellow. How DARE you compare!' Furthermore, I find that those who take the most offense to being imitated take many a performer under their wing. More times than not, these performers are those they see as "projects", perhaps lacking in confidence, talent, and experience. Often within no time at all, you'll find these performers have budded into confident 'mini-clones' of their mentors. So, I guess what these mentors message REALLY implies is that imitation is only flattering if I allow and shape it, in which case it's mandatory. So long as you comply, we'll gossip and defame all the losers we're convinced are imitating us because they have their nails painted the same color.
Though, this example is rather specific, it applies to so many avenues of life. So my question is, what IS so special about you? What makes you SO unique? I don't think I'm very unique at all. I'm rather tall for a woman.. but that's not something one has say over. I'm rather opinionated, but there are MANY opinionated folks out there. Matter of fact, I'm quite OK with blending in. Granted my thumbprint is one of a kind, I don't exactly stand out in a crowd. (well, literally yes, but not in the sense of the term.)
So, if you're going to prattle on with every breath about how you are SO unique and there is NO COMPARISON to you, make it true!! Do something AMAZING no one before you has ever done or may ever be able to do. If ya can't swing that, embrace the fact that someone before you inspired what you do, and you very well may inspire someone down the road. Meanwhile, stop being so catty. Don't hate! Educate and Celebrate! :)

2 comments:

  1. I get what you're aiming for, but I am unique! Out of all my family I am the only SURVIVOR! The rest of my family still carries the victim mentality burden. I think it depends on each situation, though it may be vast. The outcome ultimately determines the uniqueness of the situation. Another unique trait is how we treat each person we meet or know. Each of us have unique relationships with the people in our lives. We don't treat everyone the same. I believe when someone constantly is comparing their style, looks, personality, and/or etc...that, in my opinion, means they are lacking self-actualization and self-esteem. I believe you have some uniqueness about you that no-one has ever seen, heard or felt!!!For a week have no computer, phones, television or anything that is overstimulating and just be with yourself and God. I believe you will discover many unique things about yourself that separates you from the rest of your circle. I love reading your rants....they are very thought provoking;o) Keep them coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. When compared to my family, I'm the only lesbian I know of. When compared to Louisville, I'm the only person from Olney, IL I'm aware of. When it comes, however, to my personality, though the combination of my traits may be most unique, each trait individually is one you can find almost anywhere. Though, you might have to travel to New Jersey to find a woman as blunt and opinionated! haha
    Most of what my blog referred to, however, was people's 'style' and 'delivery'! :)

    ReplyDelete